Halesfield 23, Telford, Shropshire, TF7 4NY
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors


How to become a gas engineer

   All posts

How to become a gas engineer

Are you looking for a rewarding career? A career with a good salary, plenty of work and scope to expand as you become more experienced?  If you are then training to become a gas engineer could be for you.  

Traditionally, gas engineers trained through apprenticeships. They would learn on-the-job over a period of 1-2 years. However, for those who do not have the time or who already have workplace experience, there are alternative routes.

You could be trained, Gas Safe registered and on the tools in a matter of months. 

This route could be for you if you are:

  • A school or college leaver.
  • A tradesperson with transferable skills.
  • Completely new to the building services sector and fancy a career change.

There are training courses that will give you all skills and experience you need to start a rewarding new career as a gas installer.  

What do you need to be a gas engineer?

It is a legal requirement that all gas engineers be registered with the Gas Safe register.  To apply for registration, installers must prove to a recognised awarding body that they are competent in working safely with gas. 

This might include:

  • Industry recognised qualifications, for example, Level 3 NVQ, and/or
  • Approved Certification Scheme (ACS) and Core Gas Safety (CCN1) and appliance assessments
  • Portfolio of on-site work experience

So, how do you get to this point?

You can either do your training through an apprenticeship or through a training centre. 

Teach a Trade’s Access Gas route combines a mixture of practical and theoretical training, on-site work experience and ACS assessment to ensure you are confident, competent and workplace ready.

Steps to Access Gas:

  1. Initial centre-based practical and theoretical training (8 weeks)
  2. Work placement (3 months)
  3. ACS training and initial assessment (1 week)
  4. Gas Safe registration and start work!

Are there any entry requirements?

There are no specific entry requirements but you will need to be practical with the ability to solve problems.

You should be able to use your initiative, remain calm under stress and it helps to be polite and friendly with people!

Your training centre will assess your suitability on an individual basis. 

What qualifications will I get?

You will need to gain an industry recognised qualification. For example, a Level 3 Diploma or NVQ, and/or Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) training and assessment.

If you go down Teach a Trade’s Access Gas route, you will undertake:

  • An 8-week period of practical and theoretical training at our brand-new training facility.
  • You will work towards Approved Certification Scheme (ACS) and Core Gas Safety (CCN1) and appliance assessments.

What is ACS assessment?

ACS is the industry recognised route to demonstrating competency and a requirement of Gas Safe registration.  All gas engineers are assessed every 5 years to ensure their knowledge and skills are up to date and they are working safely.

Initial ACS combines practical and theoretical assessment for core gas safety (CCN1) and relevant appliances, for example:

  • Central heating boilers (CENWAT1)
  • Combustion performance analysis (CPA1)
  • And/or domestic cookers (CKR1).

Will I need to get on-site work experience?

Yes, practical workplace experience is a vital part of your gas installer training, whether through an apprenticeship or a work placement.

Following your initial centre-based training, you will undertake a 3-month placement. You will work under the supervision of a Gas Safe registered engineer.  During this time, you will build a varied portfolio of 30 gas jobs.  

Am I ready to join the Gas Safe register?

Once you have completed your training, work placement and achieved your initial ACS training and assessment, you will be able to apply for Gas Safe registration. You are then ready to start your new career as a Gas Safe registered installer.