Halesfield 23, Telford, Shropshire, TF7 4NY
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors


How long does it take to become a gas engineer?

   All posts

How long does it take to become a gas engineer?

Completing your gas engineering training can take as long as 2 years or as little as 6 months.  It depends on which route to qualification you choose and how much hard work you are willing to put in.  

Why should I train as a gas engineer?

Becoming a gas engineer is not an easy road but learning a skilled trade will lay the foundations for a long and rewarding career.  

You could seek employment and get paid a wage above the national average.  

Alternatively, you could decide to set up your own gas installation business.  You might decide to offer related services, such as plumbing and electrics.  Or you could add a renewable string to your bow, expanding into solar PV, solar thermal or heat pumps.     

The gas engineers of today will be the multi-skilled heating engineers of tomorrow.  If you are willing to embrace new heating technologies and keep pace with an evolving sector, your skills will always be in demand. 

How long does a gas engineering apprenticeship take?

Gas engineers have been training through apprenticeships for many years.  

A Gas Engineering Operative Apprenticeship is a Level 3 qualification (equivalent to A-Levels) and takes from 18 months to 4 years to complete. 

During this time, you will work under the supervision of a Gas Safe registered engineer for 80% of your time and attend college for the remaining 20%.

Apprenticeships are available for anyone over the age of 16.  They are most popular with young learners under the age of 25, however, there is no upper age limit.  

You will be paid a trainee’s salary which increases as you successfully complete each stage of your training and prove yourself to your employer.   

How long does the training centre route take?

Training centres offer an alternative – much quicker – route to Gas Safe registration.  

Teach a Trade’s Access Gas course gets candidates workplace ready in approximately 6 months.  

Like apprenticeships, training centres thoroughly prepare candidates for real-life situations through a combination of classroom learning, centre-based practical training and on-site work experience.

Access Gas provides a convenient and comprehensive gas engineer training package. It is designed to give new entrants all the skills, knowledge and experience they need to meet the Gas Safe register’s strict requirements within the most efficient time frame:

  • Initial training (8 weeks) – you’ll start with a thorough foundation of gas engineering theory and hands-on practical training, based at our brand-new purpose-built training facility.
  • Work placement (approx. 3 months) – next, you will work under the supervision of a Gas Safe registered installer and build a portfolio of gas work.
  • ACS training and assessment (1 week) – finally, you will return to our training centre to complete your core gas safety (CCN1) and appliance training and assessments.

You are now ready to apply to the Gas Safe register and start your new career as a gas engineer!

Find out more about becoming a gas engineer with Teach a Trade